I’m sure you have a dessert that is SO reminiscent of being a kid. Maybe it’s dirt, or puppy chow (muddy buddies…or whatever else you called it!), even certain store bought cookies bring me back to being a kid. My mom use to always let us get a box of those little circus animal cookies that had a little handle on them. Gosh, I love those :0) This dessert is definitely on my list of reminiscent recipes and it couldn’t be easier. My mom has it in one of her old church cookbooks, but when I had to throw a dessert together really quick this came to mind and I decided to see if I could find it online. Allrecipes.com came through for me. The picture above is from their site, which I borrowed, because I totally forgot to take the epic “slice” picture. I don’t mind borrowing
The recipe will not break you bank and will feed a lot of people since you’re doing it in a 13×9 inch pan. The ingredients include graham crackers, milk, vanilla pudding (I bought a bigger box since I couldn’t get the size the recipe called for. I just eyeballed it and baggied up the rest of of it), cool whip and lots of chocolate frosting. I almost went for a small container but I’m very glad I decided not to. Doing it in a bigger pan will mean more frosting for the top so don’t be afraid to get more then one container. I’m pretty sure you can find something to do with the extra :o) Especially if you have extra graham crackers.
You’ll find that you only used a package and a half of graham crackers and that your fingers are helpful tools to get this job done :) Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before hand. It is a very easy an super fast to put together. No baking necessary. Give it a try and let me know how yours turns out. You’ll find the recipe below. Happy cooking friends!
Eclair Cake Recipe
- 2 (3.5 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 3 cups milk
- 1 (16 ounce) package graham cracker squares
- 1 (16 ounce) package prepared chocolate frosting
- In a medium bowl, thoroughly blend the pudding mix, whipped topping, and milk.
- Arrange a single layer of graham cracker squares in the bottom of a 13×9 inch baking pan. Evenly spread half of the pudding mixture over the crackers. Top with another layer of crackers and the remaining pudding mixture. Top with a final layer of graham crackers.
- Spread the frosting over the whole cake up to the edges of the pan. Cover, and chill at least 4 hours before serving.
The frosting will be easier to spread if the cake is covered and chilled for about 30 minutes before spreading.